Where have we been?
Would you like to know where we have been? The list of trips and activities below will give you a brief snapshot of some of the special outings and experiences our members, their families and friends have been on since the Memory Café began in 2010.
- ‘Oh I do like to be beside the seaside’: Seaside-themed reminiscence trips to Budleigh Salterton and Lyme Regis, complete with a stroll along the prom, a traditional seaside picnic and an authentic Punch & Judy Show
- ‘Countryside in Autumn’: A trip to the Countryside Museum at Bicton Park, which included a reminiscence session about living and working in the country, a walk around the Botanical Gardens and a ploughman’s lunch
- ‘Christmas of yesteryear: An unforgettable Christmas-themed event, where we listed to handbell ringers, made traditional Christmas decorations and enjoy a traditional Christmas lunch, at the majestical Weycroft Hall (dating back to 1050)
- ‘Take your Pick’: A film and TV-themed reminiscence event, where we laughed uproariously at Hancock’s Half Hour, ate fish and chips and took part in a ‘Take your Pick’ Quiz (complete with prizes)
- ‘Travelling back in Time’: A journey on the old-fashioned tram in Seaton, with a stop-off at an old station along the way and a chance to reminisce about how we used to travel
- ‘Railway Walks’: On a glorious, sunny day we walked the route taken by the old Sidmouth railway, and enjoyed a special talk on steam trains, as well as sharing our own memories of rail travel
- ‘Back to School’: Using a memory box containing old exercise books, school slate and much more, we reminisced about warm milk, school pranks, the cane and going out to the shops to buy a teacher’s cigarettes!
- ‘Sweet music’: A special concert from Reg Meuross, where he gave us a spine-tingling rendition of ‘Counting my Footsteps to you’ – a song about someone with dementia
- ‘Steaming along’: A lovely trip from Buckfastleigh to Totnes on the steam train; walks up the Otter, ending with tea at Otterton Mill
To find out about our upcoming events, please click here.